Pelvic floor dysfunction for men (and women!)
Pelvic floor – the missing link in persistant pain!
What is the pelvic floor and what does it do?
In function, the pelvic floor must contract and relax, lengthen and shorten, and work in tandem with the other muscles of the intrinsic core if we are to move efficiently and pain free.
It is much easier to grasp this concept visually, so check out the video on the left where Dave talks through the pelvic floor and discusses its function as it relates to a step up.
Pelvic floor dysfunction – not just a woman thing!
What are the symptoms?
- Painful intercourse
- Difficulty starting a urine stream
- Urinating to what you think is completion only to find there was one last drop left
- Urgency to use the loo
- Urinating like a jet stream
- Rectal and uterine prolapse
- These are but a few examples..
What can I do about it?
- Improve your overall body condition / strength
- Squat deep – this will help keep your pelvic floor able and limber to lengthen and shorten as it should
- Get good core sequencing and activation – this will prevent your pelvic floor having to overwork and compensate for other muscles