Breathing Training For Huddersfield Runners
Welcome to day 6. Today I will show you how to engage your obliques effortlessly and save you time and effort in training these muscles to improve your running efficiency.
- Keep your teeth slightly apart.
- Lip together.
- Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth.
- Gently press into the pallet.
- Move your lower jaw forward an inch, so it slides under the front teeth and is slightly ahead.
- Place your hands around your lower ribs on each side.
- Place right leg forward so zipper line faces to the left
- Place ribcage to the right so the chest bone faces to the right
- Ensure the head stays straight ahead throughout and relaxed
- Inhale through your nose.
- Feel your ribcage expand outwards and NOT inwards.
- Now place your hands on the top of your pelvis and slightly inside towards your lower abdominals.
- Hum for as long as possible, feeling your abdominals engage naturally as your ribcage drops.
- Feel your muscles tighten under your finger tips naturally as you exhale during the 5th and 6th seconds.
- Pause for 2 seconds.
- Re inhale without shrugging your shoulders, using your neck or back muscles.
- Repeat on other side with left leg forward and ribcage twisting to the left.